Smart421 attended the AWS Summit 2011 on Tues 14 June at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London and I wanted to share some ’soundbites’ that caught my attention.
I guess there are a succession of these that are deliberately trotted out at events like this but all the same they are worth repeating, and I’m sure I will trot these out myself in the coming months :-).
Hopefully I will have time to share some of the other information that I gleaned from the ‘Base Camp’ track that I followed during the event, and the 7 key themes that Werner Vogels (Amazon.com CTO – and yes he was there!) sees driving the Cloud, on a subsequent blog post.
Anyway here are a few beauties!
- From Nov 2010 all Amazon.com web traffic is now being served from EC2 instances – talk about ‘eat you own dog food!’
- A large media company has 1500 VM’s of which 5% are currently in the Cloud and the rest on-premise – by 2013 the figure will be 50% in the Cloud – wow big transition, and yes he did mention some internal pain points!
- Same media company pushing out speculative websites that may or may not attract interest (i.e. go viral or die) – traditional on-premise time/cost model = 7 days to build & $75.40 a day to run VERSUS Cloud (presumably AWS eek) = 3 hours to build & $27.60 a day to run =========== no brainer!
- Agility using AWS was demonstrated by a software house (don’t worry I won’t mention their name here – pah) – in the last 7 days 41 developers, 882 commits, 400 deploys for 40 projects – that’s a deployment every 5 mins apparently, and in my book that’s also bragging for braggings sake – good going guys.
- And finally AWS themselves still see all that has been done so far as DAY 1 – jeez that is scary and can’t wait for DAY 2……..
:: Stop Press ::
Check out the blogs by Robin Meehan on this and other subjects, please click here.